A meaningful morning (Or even just an hour!) has the power to dramatically change your day…
A good morning routine is simply made up of lots of simple easy to do, sustainable rituals that can set you up for the day ahead. Do you wake up with ease and maintain your energy levels all day? Or do you roll out of bed feeling groggy and a little grumpy?
Try incorporating these int your morning one by one so you don’t feel overwhelmed and see how you begin to feel. Some of my morning rituals I’d love to share with you and they actually start the night before…
1. Establish a bedtime routine- If you could do just one thing to add more energy and vibrancy in your life, it would be to get more sleep of course. Most of us only get between 5 and 7 hours a night which just is not enough. We NEED sleep. Sleep restores both our bodies and minds. Try to get eight hours of quality sleep each night. An hour before I go to sleep I begin a pre-bedtime routine that enables me to unwind after the day. I’ll take a warm bath maybe with some lavender oil, relaxing Epsom salts, (try and) put my phone on aeroplane mode so no emails, messages, social media at least an hour before sleep. I’ll catch up with my girls and husband, read a book, listen to a podcast im currently into, watch a movie and always have a light stretch. It’s always a good idea with helping to unwind to have a relaxing and soothing cup of herbal tea, camomile, fennel, decaf jasmin, are some of evening go-to’s.
2. Go screen-free upon waking- Just as you had some phone free time before sleep allowing you to wind down the natural way, In the morning try to hold off getting on your phone for the first 30 minutes, instead spend the time doing something that makes you happy. Some light stretching, yoga, meditation, warm lemon water, walking the dogs are some activities that are great during this time. Of course early mornings in many households are busy and noisy with everyone off to work and school, kids need feeding, lunches need to be made etc etc. So if this is you try just for 10 mins to focus on your day ahead before switching on that phone.
3. Drink lemon water every morning- Water is another non-negotiable for starting your day on the right foot. Drink a large glass of water when you first wake up, and add lemon to get digestion moving and alkalise your body. Carry a large bottle with you throughout the day and make sure to drink it all. Have your lemon water before anything else passes your lips!
4. Get some movement and fresh air- Starting your day with even a brief stretch will help energize your body and mind first thing in the morning. If you can get outside even if its just a quick 15 minutes with your dog. If you can walk to work or walk the school run do it! Having your blood pumping can massively improve your concentration and mood for the day ahead. I love to run first thing in the am, but on days that I don’t a good dg walk feels just as good.
5. Learn to make a super morning smoothie- On busy mornings I know how easy it is to grab a croissant and coffee on the run, or not grab anything at all. Ditch the latte and make yourself a healthy morning smoothie instead. Drinking a dose of healthy fruits, vegetables, fat, protein and superfoods in an easy-to-digest form will give you a burst of nutrients and energy first thing in the morning. It’s also a brilliant way to get your head in that healthy mindset. By starting your day with lemon water and then a smoothie you are much less likely to grab a biscuit or muffin at 11am when you feel peckish. Building a balanced smoothie can keep you satisfied and full till lunch easy.
Morning super smoothie-
1 tbsp of gluten free oats (slow burning fuel)
1 tsp of organic raw cacao powder (superfood)
½ cup of frozen berries (antioxidants)
1 tbsp of hemp seeds (natural protein powder)
1 tbsp of almnd butter (good fat)
1 heaped cup of spinach (crucial greens)
½ banana (vitamins, minerals. Natural sweetener)
1 tsp of cinnamon (balance blood sugar)
Blend with a cup of unsweetened almond milk.